Polymer / Organic Chemist
Scientist, Polymer / Organic Chemist
Mallinda - Berkeley, CA
This is a great opportunity for a scientist with an entrepreneurial mindset who is excited by more than hypothesis testing and data analysis. Mallinda is looking for someone who is excited to wear a number of hats as scientist in a materials startup company. You will have an opportunity to help guide decisions on fundraising, intellectual property, market development, and technology development, among others. This position will be rewarding on a number of fronts and carries with it the potential for rapid advancement.
From a technical standpoint we are looking for someone with training and experience in polymer synthesis and small molecule organic transformations. The Scientist, Polymer/Organic Chemist role will support the Technology Development team by participating in and overseeing internal chemistry activities, engage with external manufacturing partners, suppliers and customer all toward driving our first commercial product to scaled production. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in polymer chemistry with experience leading materials R&D projects.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Lead the development of new formulations to meet product, and process specs. The Scientist will be the hands-on lead to formulate novel resins to the specs of roll-to-roll manufacturing.
- Interact with toll manufacturers, suppliers customers as needed, and communicate clearly internally & externally. The Scientist will play a significant role in bringing our first product to the finish line of production and sales.
- Assist CTO with project management, and new materials research directions. The senior scientist will work closely with the CTO on project management and coordination activities. This person will also conduct basic research in support of Mallinda’s long term developments.
- Assist the company in occasional grant writing
We are looking for candidates with the following credentials:
The ideal candidate is independent, but with strong communication and collaboration skills, and is open to a possible relocation to Boulder, CO within 24 months.
- PhD in Polymer Chemistry (or related field), with experience in polymer synthesis, organic synthesis and chemical characterization.
- Broad knowledge in polymer chemistry, characterization and property analysis
- Background in organic chemistry and small molecule analytics
- Experience in advanced composite materials a plus
- Experience building and managing a technical team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong technical writing skills
If you are interested please send your resume and cover letter (in the body of an e-mail is great) to Philip@mallinda.com